Saturday, December 10, 2016

Kimi no Na Wa (Your Name) - Movie Anime Review


First of all, I apologize that I didn't post any review last week because finally I got to play Pokemon Moon. And it's really, really, really a great game! It's been awhile I'm this hooked with pokemon games. So, please understand.  ^_^;



Finally, I've got the chance to watch this movie screening. Thank god, our local theater finally managed to get this "phenomenal" movie so early instead of, I dunno, SHIN GODZILLA *cough*. sorry.
I've read a lot of article about this movie. It's number 1 "top selling movie anime" for more than 9 weeks straight, Even "Spirited Away" by Hayao Miyazaki has been dethroned from "the most successful movie anime" by this movie. When I was reading that article I was like. "whoa, this movie sells more than my all time favorite childhood movie, it must be something, right?". 
Makoto Shinkai's name as a anime director is always been on my radar. Just like Mamoru Hosoda, Gen Urobuchi, Mamoru Oshii, and of course the legend, Hayao Miyazaki. They usually deliver in their movie. Makoto Shinkai's work is a piece of art, and deliver "realism" to his anime. And he also great at toying your emotions with the medium. Yes, I know, if you are a fan of his movies, at the end of the movie, it always left you hanging with 



The first Makoto Shinkai's movie that I watched was Byousoku 5 cm/s. It was a painful yet enjoyable experience. And then I watched all of his past works like "Hoshi no Koe/Voice of the Distant Star", "Kono Kanojo to kanojo no neko/She and her cat",  and also his latest work before this movie, "Kotonoha no Niwa/Garden of Words". Personally, I enjoyed all of his movies, with all of "dem feels" ending. I think it's safe to say if you are "I'm a man, and I don't shed tears on anything at all. Feelings are only for p*ssies!" kind of person. Welp, his movies are not for you. We have to realize that not every genre is for everyone. hahahaha
Anyway, how was the movie? Is it that good? So let's just jump into the review shall we? XD

Story
This movie starts up with our main character, Mitsuha who lives in a village, waking up from her sleep, touching herself, (how to write this without sounding so inappropriate) and she realizes that "Oh my god, I have female parts!?". Meanwhile in Tokyo, there's Taki who wakes up, and touching himself and he was like "Oh my god, I have male parts?!". 
Yes, Taki and Mitsuha swapped bodies. 
This movie is about both of the characters randomly wakes up as each other. And both of them have to figure out how they will live their other side's body during that day, why this is happened to them, and they eventually began to appreciate one and another while learning about each other's life in a very unique manner. 

My thoughts on the movie
  1. Makoto Shinkai delivers! Story wise is not really a new thing actually, Swapping bodies is not a new concept (Silver Chariot Requiem, anyone? XD). But the way how everything is directed, the stunningly beautiful visuals, great animations, and also "camera work" makes this movie very enjoyable and entertaining to watch. Seeing this movie in the theater was totally worth it! I got chills so many times when watching this movies because the background are so beautiful! That is to be expected from Makoto Shinkai's movie! XD
  2. The soundtrack fits in so much with the movie! The songs are delivered by Radwimps from the opening, ending, and also insert song. Since 5 cm/s, with "One More Time, One More Chance" and Kotonoha no Niwa "Rain", I can really say that Makoto Shinkai really knows how to pick a good soundtrack for his movies. 
  3. Every character in this anime feels so human and real. I really like how both of the main characters learn about each other's life by actual being THAT person for a day. So they can know more about that person even better. Which is a really interesting way to tell a romance story. 
  4. This is the most lighthearted Makoto Shinkai movie ever made. Usually the tone of his movie is rather gloomy, depressing, and serious. But this movie is different from his previous works. It's colorful, more fun, hilarious, and emotionally powerful! And the transition from comedy slice of life to a more serious tone doesn't feel forced at all. It flows naturally. 
  5. This movie is quite fast paced. If you are familiar to his works, I think you are already used to his pacing. This movie have only 107 minutes to tell the whole story. A lot of things suddenly happened. They've been swapping bodies for weeks. But for us viewers it could be 10 mins. Yeah, it's that fast.
As for the problems, I don't really have one actually. The ending caught me off guard. But overall, I'm really satisfied with Kimi no Na Wa! Probably my all time favorite Makoto Shinkai's movie right now! And I'm excited to watch his next movie! 

So, should you watch Kimi no Na Wa? Yes! Moreover if you are a fan of Makoto Shinkai's work, you'll be pleased! and PSA, go watch it on the theater! 
I can understand why this movie was hyped by a lot of person. But personally, I think both of Spirited Away and Kimi no Na Wa are great animated movie. We can't just compare Hayao Miyazaki with Makoto Shinkai because both of them are great on their own! ^_^


So that's it from me. I hope that you will find this review useful. This is Reikichi, signing out! XD



No comments:

Post a Comment